My Search for Friends

Any REGISTERED web user can post comments here.
Scooter Trash

My Search for Friends

Post by Scooter Trash »

I am not sure who wrote the following article, but it was posted on our old website and I thought it was worth sharing on this website. Maybe it will inspire someone else to start a chapter and make new friends.

I started riding a bike back in the 60's, before I got married and had children. At that time movies about "biker gangs" were real popular and since I was a "wild child" I ended up joining a club and spent most of my time with my fellow club members and really enjoyed the connection and camaraderie I shared with them.

As I matured, I eventually got married and like many other family men, ended up having other obligations in my life such as a job and children that placed limits on my free time including the amount of time I could spend riding.

By the time I was old enough to retire and free to ride whenever I wanted, I discovered myself in a new town where I did not have any friends to ride with, so I started going to poker runs, hoping to meet other bikers I could ride with. Unfortunately there just isn't enough time during these runs to build a relationship with others, unless you want to spend hours sitting in a bar and since I am not that interested in sitting in bars all night, I never found anyone at the poker runs to ride with.

Next, I started attending a local "bike night" on a regular basis, figuring I would be able to meet and build relationships with other bikers and eventually ride with them. Well, I was wrong. It seemed like almost everyone there already had their own "clique" of friends they would sit with or spend time with and since I was so shy and quiet, I ended up sitting alone most weeks.

I also attended rallies on a regular basis and while I thoroughly enjoy these rallies and have been able to meet a lot of friendly bikers, it was hard to find any that live close enough to me, that I could ride with them.

I even tried using the Internet to find others to ride with. I checked into one MC for old bikers and discovered that anyone with enough money to buy a backpatch could join, even if you don't own a bike or know how to ride and due to my past experience riding with a real MC, I didn't want to be involved with or associated with a group that doesn't seem to know the proper protocol for clubs.

I eventually ran across the website for the Older Bikers Riding Club and decided to give them a try. Initially, I was a bit disappointed. It turned out they did not have a chapter or even any members in my town, so I figured I had wasted my time filling out an application. But on the bright side, at least it didn't cost me any money.

Then while on my way to a motorcycle rally, I stopped in a town where I was able to meet some members of the Older Bikers Riding Club and that is when my life started to change. I learned a lot from those members and by the time I got home from that rally, I felt like I finally "belonged" to something bigger then just one person riding his bike. If I had accomplished nothing else, at least now I had a backpatch on my vest and I knew that I would have others I could go to rallies with.

My entire outlook was different now. Instead of looking for other bikers I could ride with, now I was looking for other bikers that wanted to ride with the Older Bikers Riding Club.

It took about a month before someone saw a flyer at a local bike repair shop and filled out an application on our website. Our webmaster gave me that person's screen name and I contacted him in order to set a time and place where we could meet in person. Within the next several weeks, that new member recruited another 4 or 5 new members. I finally had what I had been searching for. I was part of a group of riders, The next step was going to be trying to see if these other riders would also become friends.

I continued attending the regular weekly bike nights, except now I was wearing a vest with the Older Bikers Riding Club backpatch on it and other Older Bikers were joining me. Suddenly I started noticing a difference in attitudes of other bikers. Members of local MC's were approaching me and introducing themselves.

Other older riders would approach various Older Bikers at our table and ask what the age limit was, in order to join the Older Bikers Riding Club, or other questions about our riding club. Our group of "regulars" attending local bike nights became so large that we couldn't fit them all at one table anymore.

I also discovered that while I may only see or hear from certain members about once every 2 or three months, there are other members, mostly married couples, that my wife and I ride with every weekend, see a couple of times during the week and attend rallies with on a regular basis.

My point here is that my wife and I now have a "bond" with other Older Biker Riding Club members that goes beyond just riding.

We are friends and enjoy each others company, regardless if we are visiting each others home, going out to eat together, riding together, or attending rallies together.

THAT type of relationship is well worth the time it took me to build a local chapter of the Older Bikers Riding Club and I can only hope that other Older Bikers across the country find the same type of friendships and connections that I have.
Bone

Re: My Search for Friends

Post by Bone »

8-) our chapter functions alot like this story also adding members this way
FTW
Site Admin

Post by FTW »

Hi Bone,
Good to see you finally made it here. We really appreciate members like you.

I know your chapter does the big bike night and even some poker runs and I am glad to see you have been growing. We need some younger blood to take care of us old timers. LOL.

FTW
Bone

Post by Bone »

thank u for the welcome..for awhile though i was suspended..any way moveing on glad to be here with our Brothers....and Harlady also....!